Design technology is changing both architectural practice and the role of the architect and related design professionals. With new technologies and work processes appearing every week, how can practitioners be expected to stay on top and thrive? In a word, Superusers.
Superusers: Design Technology Specialists and the Future of Practice will help you identify who they are, the value they provide, and how you can attract and retain them, and become one; what career opportunities they have, what obstacles they face, and how to lead them. Written by Randy Deutsch, a well-known expert in the field, this is the first-ever guide to help current and future design professionals to succeed in the accelerating new world of work and technology.
Providing proven, practical advice, the book features:
- Unique, actionable insights from design technology leaders in practice worldwide
- The impacts of emerging technology trends such as generative design, automation, AI, and machine learning on practice
- Profiles of those who provide 20% of the effort but achieve 80% of the results, and how they do it
- What will help firms get from where they are today to where they need to be, to survive and thrive in the new world of design and construction.
Revealing the dramatic impact of technology on current and future practice, Superusers shows what it means to be an architect in the 21st century. Essential reading for students and professionals, the book helps you plan for and navigate a fast-moving, uncertain future with confidence.
- Foreword by Ian Keough, Father of Dynamo, CEO of HYPAR.
- Preface Scaring the pants off of everybody.
- Introduction How a specialist came to be this generation’s generalist architect.
- Part 1: Why Superusers? 1. Superusers’ C-Factors. 2. Superuser Superpowers. 3. Roles Superusers play.
- Part 2: Finding and making Superusers. 4. Superusers value proposition. 5. Hiring (and poaching) Superusers. 6. Engaging (and retaining) Superusers.
- Part 3: Managing and leading Superusers. 7. The career path not taken: The Superuser risk journey. 8. Design technologists as digitally savvy designers. 9. Leading Superusers.
- Epilogue. Index.