This book provides 101 real-life construction management case studies from an author with over 40 years’ experience in the construction industry and as a lecturer in construction management. Over 14 chapters, Len Holm has included case studies from real jobsites that cover organization, procurement, estimating, scheduling, subcontractors, communications, quality and cost control, change orders, claims and disputes, safety, and close-outs. Other hot topics covered include BIM, sustainability, and lean.
Each case is written in straightforward language and designed to test the reader’s independent and critical thinking skills to develop their real-world problem-solving ability. The cases are open to interpretation, and students will need to develop their own opinions of what’s presented to them in order to reach a satisfactory solution.
The cases are ideal for use in the classroom or flipped classroom, for individual or group exercises, and to encourage research, writing, and presenting skills in all manner of applied construction management situations. Such a broad and useful selection of cases studies cannot be found anywhere else. While there is often no “right” answer, the author has provided model solutions to instructors through the online eResource.
- Chapter 1: Construction organizations, including personnel issues
- Chapter 2: Procurement, including pricing and delivery methods
- Chapter 3: Construction contracts, including insurance and bond issues
- Chapter 4: Estimating
- Chapter 5: Schedules and schedule control
- Chapter 6: Subcontractors and suppliers
- Chapter 7: Start-up, including preconstruction, mobilization, and value engineering
- Chapter 8: Communications, including RFIs and submittals
- Chapter 9: Pay requests, including liens, lien releases, and retention
- Chapter 10: Cost control, including lean construction
- Chapter 11: Quality and safety controls
- Chapter 12: Change orders
- Chapter 13: Claims, including dispute resolution techniques
- Chapter 14: Advanced topics, including close-out, BIM, and sustainability
- Appendix A: Abbreviations, Appendix B: Glossary
164 pages, 7 Tables, black and white / 15,5 x 23,5 cm / English