Sue Roaf is famed for her approach to design and her awareness of energy efficiency. Here she reveals the concepts, structures and techniques that lie behind the realization of her ideals. By using her own house as a case study, Roaf guides the reader through the ideas for energy-efficient design or ‘eco-design’.
Now in its fourth edition, the bestselling Ecohouse continues to be both a technical guide and an inspiration for thousands of architects, designers and eco-builders all over the world.
Ecohouse provides design information about the latest low-impact materials and technologies, showcasing the newest and best ‘green’ solutions. Revised and updated, this edition also includes new case studies inspiring readers with more real-life examples of how to make an ecohouse work.
- 1. Starting your Design
- 2. The Environmental Impact of Building Materials
- 3. Pushing the Building Envelope
- 4. Designing for Body and Soul
- 5. Ventilation
- 6. Health and Happiness in the Home
- 7. Passive Solar Design
- 8. Photovoltaics
- 9. Solar Hot Water Systems
- 10. Using Water Wisely
- 11. Small-Scale Wind Systems
- 12. Hydro Power
- 13. Ground Source Heat Pumps (GSHP)
- 14. Lime and Low-Energy Masonry
- 15. Biomass: Making the Right Choices
- 16. Tools for Understanding the Case Studies
536 pages, 38 black & white tables, 278 colour illustrations, 154 colour line drawings / 22 x 27,5 cm / English