Volume VIII, 1975–1979: The Rise of Ecological Awareness
For more than eight decades, domus has been the world’s most influential architecture and design journal. Founded in 1928 by the great Milanese architect Gio Ponti, it has consistently highlighted the characteristic styles of each age, from Art Deco, Modernism, Functionalism, to Pop, Postmodernism and Late Modern. Beautifully designed and documented, domus presents the most exciting projects from around the world.
Each volume of TASCHEN’s domus reprint collection reproduces a selection of the magazine’s original pages, packed with articles tracing the history of modern design and architecture. Available as 12 separate volumes covering 1928-1999, this series is a major publishing event and a must-have item for design and architecture institutions and practices, architects, designers, students, and anyone who loves design.
1975–1979: First signs of ecological awareness: The mid–’70s saw a global energy crisis resulting from oil shortages. As a result, architecture and design moved to embrace alternative resources, ecological building methods, and recyclable materials. Featured are postmodern buildings by Richard Meier, the modernistic structures by Foster Associates, the Centre Georges Pompidou by Renzo Piano and Richard Rogers, and the work of the Japanese architects Arata Isozaki and Kisho Kurakawa. Also included are designs for transport systems, office machines, and electrical appliances.
580 pages, color ills / 22 x 31,5 cm / English, Italian