- A guide through the complex world of building shells
- This comprehensive, detailed presentation sheds light on constructive solutions and makes it possible to understand them
- Enclose | Build shows what building shells can do
The building shell is the interface with the outside world, it offers protection and at the same time represents its owners or occupants. But what are the criteria for choosing a specific shell? Why is a particular material used on a particular undercoat? The fifth volume of the SCALE series, Enclose | Build, is not about the curtain, the dressing of the facade that surrounds a building, but rather on a causal level about the exterior termination of a building, the wall, the facade, which can be made of various materials, surfaces, and achieves different design effects.
It shows the conditions under which certain constructions can be employed and why; what criteria such as construction costs, issues of sustainability, of energy efficiency, of assembly or of insulation or protection against moisture can also influence the choice of a system. In addition to classical constructions, Enclose | Build offers a look at future developments. How will the facade evolve as an interface for information? What do viable concepts for environmentally active, energy-efficient building shells look like? Enclose | Build is an indispensable tool for every architect and planner.
- Frontmatter, Foreword, Contents
- Self-Supporting Envelopes
- Non Self-Supporting Envelopes
Edited by Kerstin Schultz, Alexander Reichel