Modern methods of agriculture have led to cities growing out of control and reducing the available agricultural land, threatening the sustainability of our food system. The previous mutually sustaining relationships of animals, humans and the land have been lost with the progress of industry.
The Smartcity, an ecological symbiosis between nature, society and the built form is the innovative response to contemporary problems from one of the world’s leading urban design and architectural thinkers. Addressing the problems of unchecked city growth, the idea of the Smartcity questions whether we could begin to live once again from first principles, focusing in on the inhabitants of the city.
The holistic construct of the Smartcity is developed through a series of international case studies, some commissioned by government organisations, others speculative and polemic. Reframing the way people think about urban green space and the evolution of cities, CJ Lim and Ed Liu explore how the reintegration of agriculture in urban environments can cultivate new spatial practices and social cohesion in addition to food for our tables.
Representing an emerging architectural voice in matters of environmental and social sustainability, Smartcities and Eco-warriors is a long overdue treatment of the subject from a designer’s perspective, and is essential reading for practitioners and students in the fields of architecture, urban planning, environmental engineering, landscape design, agriculture and sociology. An inspiration to government agencies and NGOs dealing with climate change, it also resonates with anyone concerned about cities, energy conservation and the future of food.
- Urban Utopias and the Smartcity
- Manifestos for the Smartcity 1. From Soil to Table.
- Manifestos for the Smartcity 2. The Perpetual Motion Machine.
- Manifestos for the Smartcity 3. The American Dream Redux .
- Manifestos for the Smartcity 4. Rise of the Eco-Warrior.
- Manifestos for the Smartcity 5. Scenic Positions.
- Manifestos for the Smartcity 6. Cultivating Community.
- Excavating The Concrete Jungle: A Pictorial Essay.
- 1. Urban Agriculture: Guangming Smartcity China
- A Lexicon for the Smartcity
- 2. Urban Agriculture: Daejeon Urban Renaissance Masterplan Korea
- 3. Urban Agriculture: Central Open Space: MAC Korea
- 4. Urban Agriculture: Nordhavnen Smartcity Denmark
- 5. Urban Agriculture: Tomato Exchange UK
- 6. Urban Agriculture: Dongyi Wan East Waterfront China
- 7. Urban Agriculture: Dusable Park USA
- 8. Eco-Sustainability: Guangming Energy Park China
- 9. Eco-Sustainability: Nanyui Urban Living Room China
- 10. Cultivating Communities: Redcar Seafront Development UK
- 11. Cultivating Communities: Nanyui Urban Living Room China
- 12. Cultivating Communities: Newark Gateway Project USA.
- Sitopia – The Urban Future / Carolyn Steel.
- The Role of Cities in Climate Change / David Satterthwaite.
- Post-Sustainability / Mark Jarzombek.
256 pages / 22x 27,5 cm / English